Sunday, January 28, 2024

Edgar Community Hall - Old Barrie Road - Shanty Bay ON

I am going to be performing Lilt of Laughter, Trace of Tears in this charming historic facility on Sunday May 12 (Mother's Day) at 2:00pm.

Many years ago I lived on a farm near this building.

I have been speaking with Oro Township, asking for some history about the Community Hall to include in an upcoming press release about the show. Lori from the Township of Oro has been most helpful. She sent me this school picture she came across from 1893.




It's an interesting photo. Some of the children look to old and some look to young to be attending school. There seems to be an inordinate amount of adults in the picture. Surely there would be one teacher in this one-room school and maybe a part-time custodian.

I also like the way the photographer has not only lined up the children according to height in each row, he has also placed tree branches across the front row, giving it a country feel.

You can also conclude that there are some students likely connected to the nearby African Episcopal Methodist Church who are attending S.S. #6.

I look forward to learning more about The Edgar Hall and I especially look forward to animating the space with some charming Irish stories.

Imagine life in this area in 1893!